> Forums > Active Forums > Feedback and Requests > Feature: Prevent/Convert Long Status Updates
Last Post 11 Nov 2010 02:19 PM by CSmith. 8 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Steven Webster
Customers
Steven Webster

--
09 Nov 2010 08:25 PM
    We tend to get some long (really really long) status updates in groups. Sometimes, people just don't know where to post. Then they sort of realize what happened or another member suggests they post in the forum.

Also, with the new (and very slick Twitter integration) posts longer that 140 characters stay in the journal.

So, I was thinking about some options for status updates and wanted to get some community feedback started

1. Add a character countdown counter to status posts.
    2. When the status is longer than 140 character, hide the Twitter icon (if connected)
    4. Allow admins to set a max length for status updates.
    5. If the person posts something too long...open a message dialog that explains the discussions exist for longer posts and allow the member to click a button to create a new forum discussion.

Steven Webster
    Manager, Community Platform
    F5 Networks, DevCentral
    Matt M
    Customers
    Matt M

--
    10 Nov 2010 09:21 AM
    Agree with this mostly. I would like the character countdown.

Max length - there is some issues with this. I have actually had to increase the max length from 140 because it would otherwise not send a post to Twitter with a long URL, even though the bit.ly integration would have brought it below 140.

I would probably prefer to see options to truncate or split the post on Twitter, with your option as a 3rd possible setting.

Also, normally only the group admin can post as the group, and it's only group status updates that get tweeted. Unless this has now changed in 1.8.3? It's certainly been a reason I've wanted to have multiple group admins.
    AuTechHeads - An Australian group for geeks. Visit us at http://www.autechheads.com!
    Steven Webster
    Customers
    Steven Webster

--
    10 Nov 2010 10:25 AM

Posted By Matt Marlor on 10 Nov 2010 10:21 AM
    Also, normally only the group admin can post as the group, and it's only group status updates that get tweeted. Unless this has now changed in 1.8.3? It's certainly been a reason I've wanted to have multiple group admins.

This is still true. But my main concepts here are:

1. Warn the user when they are "going long"
    2. Give them options (shorten or convert to discussion)
    3. Disable Twitter
    4. More admin control

Steven Webster
    F5 Networks, DevCentral
    Matt M
    Customers
    Matt M

--
    10 Nov 2010 10:59 PM
    Yeah, I'd definitely want to be able to control the behaviour more than just warning, disabling and prompting.
    AuTechHeads - An Australian group for geeks. Visit us at http://www.autechheads.com!
    DanielH
    Customers
    DanielH

--
    11 Nov 2010 07:39 AM
    this would really be cool. We get the same deal Steven. Some members will either not know where to post or to lazy to go find the right spot and then boom! Giant status update...been fighting it for a while and never seem to win
    Dan
    www.EnduranceNation.us
    www.Trainium.net
    www.MarathonNation.us
    Steven Webster
    Customers
    Steven Webster

--
    11 Nov 2010 11:47 AM

Steven Webster
    F5 Networks, DevCentral
    Jeff Blanks
    Customers
    Jeff Blanks

--
    11 Nov 2010 01:18 PM
    Have you guys read my post here: http://www.activemodules.com/Commun...fault.aspx

attached is a quick and easy jquery script that can be used in your templates.
    Cheers! Jeff
    @northeastok | @jeffblanks | My Blog
    Steven Webster
    Customers
    Steven Webster

--
    11 Nov 2010 01:23 PM
    Perfect. Thanks Jeff....missed that post.

Steven Webster
    F5 Networks, DevCentral
    CSmith
    Customers
    CSmith

--
    11 Nov 2010 02:19 PM
    Nice, thanks for the help, it works great!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    > Forums > Active Forums > Feedback and Requests > Feature: Prevent/Convert Long Status Updates
    test
    Copyright 2012 by DotNetNuke Corporation / Terms of Use / Privacy