RSS Feed Available AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Answers to some questions about Active Social

by Will M on 18 Nov 2008 09:38 AM

It was great getting to talk with so many people at OpenForce last week.  Below are some of the common questions we received along with answers.

Q: How much will Active Social cost?
A: Active Social will be available in 3 versions:
     Active Social ($499) - This is a standalone version that is pre-packaged with a custom DotNetNuke installation.
     Active Social For DotNetNuke ($399) - This is the Active Social Module package for those that already have DotNetNuke installed.
     Active Social Live ($15-$50/month) - This is a hosted version of Active Social. 

Q:  When will Active Social be released?
A:  Active Social will be made available to a limited number of pre-selected customers this week.  We expect to have the first public release available no later than December 15th.

Q: I already own Active Forums Enterprise and Active Profile.  What is it going to cost me to upgrade?
A: If your Active Forums Enterprise license hasn't expired, then you will receive a free upgrade to Active Social.

Q: How does Active Forums and Active Social work together?
A: We wanted to have complete integration with Active Forums and Active Social.  In order to make this as easy as possible for you, we decided to include Active Forums Enterprise with Active Social.  Yes, Active Social will include a full Active Forums Enterprise license.

Q: I'm already using another social networking module set.  Will I be able to migrate to Active Social?
A:  Yes, we will provide a set of migration scripts so that you can easily migrate profiles and groups to Active Social.

Q: Is there a demo site available for Active Social?
A:  The demo site we used for Active Social at OpenForce will be available by Nov. 26th.

21 Comments for Answers to some questions about Active Social

Jeff B.
    Jeff B.
    18 Nov 2008 10:59 AM

What will the cost be if I own AF Enterprise, but not Active Profile? (licence currently not activated, been waiting on the Active Social aspect)..................

Will there also be a trial version available?
    Will Morgenweck
    Will Morgenweck
    18 Nov 2008 11:04 AM
    www.activemodules.com
    You will qualify for a discount.

Initially, a trial will be available through Active Social Live.
    Brad Molzen
    Brad Molzen
    18 Nov 2008 11:06 AM
    http://www.vinocellar.com
    Looks incredible... I'll be on the buyers list.
    OurLink
    18 Nov 2008 11:22 AM
    www.ourlink.net
    Will,
    I am very happy to see that you have consider an upgrade/transition path for some of us users that ventured out and began looking at the other Social Networking modules for DNN. I have a collage of Ventrian, SmartThinker and the Active Profile (formerly DNNProfile) modules installed on some of our hosted sites so it will be nice to be able to finally standardize on a single vendor!

Kudos to you and your team!!!
    Joey
    Joey
    18 Nov 2008 01:53 PM

Can't wait!!! hope we get it before the 15th ... thats a whole month away.

Jeff B.
    Jeff B.
    18 Nov 2008 02:57 PM

There has been very little mention about Active Messaging. Is it safe to say that it will be included with the various versions of Active Social?
    Vinny
    Vinny
    18 Nov 2008 06:04 PM

Will, you can count me in, I currently have 2600 & over members and want to make it worthwhile to have something as good (as it seems) as what I saw in the few screen shots.

I do, however, want to know if ActiveMessaging will be part of it, I guess the forums module must take care of it, I don't know.

I look forward to the release and scripts for transfer from ActiveProfile.

Thanks and good luck.
    fatgeorge
    fatgeorge
    19 Nov 2008 04:02 AM

I have Active Forum Professional 3.7 and Active Profile, what is my upgrade path please?
    Will Morgenweck
    Will Morgenweck
    19 Nov 2008 09:28 AM
    www.activemodules.com
    Messaging is integrated throughout Active Social. I will try and post screen captures of this later today.

I have Active Forum Professional 3.7 and Active Profile, what is my upgrade path please?

This will depend on your 3.7 purchase date. You will be eligible for a discount. Please use the contact form and we will be able to give you more exact details.
    Brad Molzen
    Brad Molzen
    19 Nov 2008 12:52 PM
    http://www.vinocellar.com
    Will any scripts be made available to migrate private messages from the Ventrian Module?
    Ulrik Motzfeldt
    Ulrik Motzfeldt
    20 Nov 2008 03:58 PM
    www.kalak.gl
    Was waiting for the next release of Active Profile for my site. And now I read this great news !
    Are waiting for the demo, to see if this will be "the social" module for several projects I have !
    Yael Kroy
    Yael Kroy
    21 Nov 2008 07:47 AM
    http://www.transgender.ru
    It would be nice if Bizmodules fotogallery and videogallery were embeded to user profile.
    I mean without explanation to user about html code they ne to insert in their profiles. Just embeded by default.
    and about ventrian messeges migration +1 It is good if there will be some script. Sometimes ago Active Modules was recommending it for use with AF. Nowdays my visitors have thousands of messeges stored in Ventrian module.
    samanderson4
    samanderson4
    21 Nov 2008 10:17 AM

Will,

I recently purchased active forums professional and active profiles, do I qualify for the upgrade?

Sam
    BarryS
    BarryS
    21 Nov 2008 01:54 PM

Hi Will,

Will Active Social require SQL 2005?

Many thanks

Barry
    Will Morgenweck
    Will Morgenweck
    21 Nov 2008 07:39 PM
    www.activemodules.com
    Barry, Active Social will require SQL 2005 or 2008.

Sam,fatgeorge and others- We should have the upgrade specifics ready next week. Active Profile and Active Forums 4 Enterprise is the only completely free upgrade path at the moment. There will be other discounted upgrade paths available.

Private Messaging - We still support and recommend Ventrian's Private Messaging module. If there is enough demand then we will create a script to migrate messages.

Third-Party Integration - The focus for the first release of Active Social is to provide a complete social networking solution. This will include features that are currently available in third-party modules. We will still provide a mechanism for third-party integration. However, we will not be programming specifically or adding direct support any third-party module. We do not want to ever be in a situation where functionality or features in one of our modules is dependent on another module that we do not have control over.

Thanks,
    Will
    MHuijbregts
    MHuijbregts
    22 Nov 2008 12:27 AM
    www.biservices.eu
    Will,

You described a templating system for displaying 3rd party modules from within the profile. Is this going to be included in the first release or is this scheduled for the future?

Thanks,
    Marc
    samanderson4
    samanderson4
    26 Nov 2008 11:39 AM

Will,

Can SQL 2005 Express work with this module?
    Will Morgenweck
    Will Morgenweck
    26 Nov 2008 01:15 PM
    www.activemodules.com
    Yes!
    Kossut
    Kossut
    28 Nov 2008 08:23 AM

Hello, it's me again! When Active Social demo will be available?
    jbrunken
    jbrunken
    02 Dec 2008 08:27 AM

Will,

Any word on the demo site availability? Are you still on track for a public release on the 15th?

-Jason
    Kossut
    Kossut
    13 Dec 2008 11:00 AM

Any good news?
    test
    Copyright 2012 by DotNetNuke Corporation / Terms of Use / Privacy